Welcome to Apache Zeppelin! On this page are instructions to help you get started.
Apache Zeppelin officially supports and is tested on the following environments:
|Oracle JDK||1.8 (171)
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Downloading Binary Package
Two binary packages are available on the download page. Only difference between these two binaries is interpreters are included in the package file.
- all interpreter package: unpack it in a directory of your choice and you're ready to go.
- net-install interpreter package: unpack and follow install additional interpreters to install interpreters. If you're unsure, just run
./bin/install-interpreter.sh --alland install all interpreters.
Building Zeppelin from source
follow the instructions How to Build, If you want to build from source instead of using binary package.
Starting Apache Zeppelin
Starting Apache Zeppelin from the Command Line
On all unix like platforms:
If you are on Windows:
After Zeppelin has started successfully, go to http://localhost:8080 with your web browser.
Start Apache Zeppelin with a service manager
Note : The below description was written based on Ubuntu.
Apache Zeppelin can be auto-started as a service with an init script, using a service manager like upstart.
This is an example upstart script saved as
This allows the service to be managed with commands such as
sudo service zeppelin start sudo service zeppelin stop sudo service zeppelin restart
Other service managers could use a similar approach with the
upstart argument passed to the
description "zeppelin" start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo) stop on shutdown # Respawn the process on unexpected termination respawn # respawn the job up to 7 times within a 5 second period. # If the job exceeds these values, it will be stopped and marked as failed. respawn limit 7 5 # zeppelin was installed in /usr/share/zeppelin in this example chdir /usr/share/zeppelin exec bin/zeppelin-daemon.sh upstart
Congratulations, you have successfully installed Apache Zeppelin! Here are few steps you might find useful:
New to Apache Zeppelin...
- For an in-depth overview, head to Explore Zeppelin UI.
- And then, try run Tutorial Notebook in your Zeppelin.
- And see how to change configurations like port number, etc.
Spark, Python, SQL, and more
- Spark support in Zeppelin, to know more about deep integration with Apache Spark.
- SQL support in Zeppelin for SQL support
- Python support in Zeppelin, for Matplotlib, Pandas, Conda/Docker integration.
- All Available Interpreters
Multi-user support ...
- Check Multi-user support